Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What a difference a day makes...

I started my full dose of Rebif on Monday night, pre-medicated and everything. Despite all my efforts tuesday was a really bad day. I woke up with pain all over, my legs felt like they weighed a ton each, my head hurt, I had a fever and sore throat. It did not matter what I did or took, it did not get any better; not until the evening anyways. My mom suggested I work out to give myself more energy but unfortunately I didn't even have any energy to get out of bed let alone to work out.

I got out of bed only because I had to. I had a follow up appointment with the NP. We went over how I still have numb feet, which the solumedrol and prednisone didn't fix, how I am very sensitive to heat now and I had her sign some disability form for the state so I can continue to receive money. I'm going to get my labs drawn on Monday to check my liver, thyroid and white blood cell count since Rebif can really mess those up.

Last night my left toesies were hurting as I was getting really bad spasticity. According to the national multiple sclerosis society:

Spasticity refers to feelings of stiffness and a wide range of involuntary muscle spasms (sustained muscle contractions or sudden movements). It is one of the more common symptoms of MS. Spasticity may be as mild as the feeling of tightness of muscles or may be so severe as to produce painful, uncontrollable spasms of extremities, usually of the legs. Spasticity may also produce feelings of pain or tightness in and around joints, and can cause low back pain. Although spasticity can occur in any limb, it is much more common in the legs.

How I feel it is like my toes are deformed and getting stuck in weird ways. Now they don't actually look different but I feel like they are stiff and they hurt. I have felt that today in my right toes as well. Although I have been feeling this spasticity, I still feel like its a great day! I don't have the flu like symptoms I had yesterday and my whole body doesn't hurt. It's a good day.

Tonight I have to inject myself again. I'm gonna take Aleve this time to pre-medicate instead of motrin. Hopefully it will help.

I noticed that today I feel more positive and wonder if it's because of the fact that I don't feel as bad or is it really the medicine. With MS itself there are more incidences of depression and to top it off Rebif can also give you depression as a side effect. So I have 2 strikes against me.

Don't know why I'm more positive today but what ever it is, I'm grateful for it. :)

Today is also World MS day. You can go to www.worldmsday.org to learn more about MS and learn how to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment